Friday, May 3, 2013

Mountain Dew Kickstart Orange Citrus and Fruit Punch - Review


CAFFEINE CONTENT
92mg

SUGAR CONTENT
20g

CALORIES
80

ENERGY BLEND
B6, Caffeine, Sucralose, Sugar, Vitamin C

SIZE
16oz

AVAILABLENESS - 10/10
Ever since Kickstart first came out, I’ve seen these things EVERYWHERE. All grocery stores in my area have a huge stockpile of them. Every single gas station has them; I’ve even seen them at a concession stand inside a bingo hall. Everybody who lives in America should have easy access to these things. However, I don't know if they are sold in other countries. It would surprise me if they weren't.

PRICE - 9/10
I have bought seven cans of Kickstart, and my wallet has suffered $7.00. In just about every grocery store they are exactly $1.00. Be cautious of gas stations because my local ones are trying to sell them for $1.25-$1.75. So just head to Target or Kroger’s or something like that and save yourself a couple cents.

APPEARANCE - 8.5/10
I love the Kickstart cans. They have a nice modern feel and smoothness about them. I love simplicity when it’s done right. The only negative about the cans is the way the word Kickstart is scrawled down the side. I’m confused about the layout of the can. I don’t know where the front ends can the back begins. I was having difficulty deciding how I should position the cans for the picture. But putting all that aside, I like the modernization of the cans; smooth, shiny, and bleak with simply colors and the Dew logo. Personally, the Fruit Punch can is easier on the eyes.

TASTE - 9.5/10
If this was a separate review for both flavors, I would have given Fruit Punch a 9/10 and Orange Citrus 10/10. But since it is a combined review, I just split the difference. We can all agree that one of the most common drink flavors is citrus. And if done correctly it can be amazing. Kickstart perfected the citrus flavor. Orange Citrus lived up to the advertisement of being like a mixture of orange juice and coffee. You get the wonderful citrusy flavor of orange juice and the caffeine fix of your daily morning coffee. I’m a little more unenthusiastic about Fruit Punch. I have never been a fan of fruit punch. Especially artificial fruit punch flavoring. So I was skeptical about getting the second flavor. But I can honestly say this fruit punch was pleasant. My favorite of Orange Citrus is made evident by my can collection of 5 Orange Citrus to 2 Fruit Punch, but Fruit Punch is definitely a 9.   

KICK (INTENSITY) - 6.8/10
At 92mg of caffeine, Kickstart definitely isn’t overflowing with the substance that gets us through life. But this is made to replace your morning coffee and orange juice. Drinking a can instead of a balanced breakfast isn’t recommended, but accompanied with some grapes or a breakfast bar, it goes a long way. My first Kickstart I drank on the bus before school. There was a noticeable difference in my alertness and my productivity. I wasn’t slumping in 1st or 2nd period and my daily crash during 4th period was nonexistent. My teachers even took notice, complimenting my change of attitude. Kickstart is useful because there are no jitters, bouts of hyperactivity, or the inability to stay focused. It is just a pleasant alertness.

KICK (DURATION) - 6.5/10
Sadly, the pleasant alertness wears off after a few hours. But there is no crash, just a gentle drop until you are back to normal. This drink would be a lifesaver if it lasted the entire school day. But the reason why I buy so many cans is because it is not an extreme, heart attack inducing concoction that you have to give yourself a pep talk before drinking. It is an alternative for morning coffee and it does its job well.

 OVERALL - A
Buy this drink. I can’t say it enough. It is perfect for preparation of the day, and it will give you a satisfying caffeine fix. The recommendation of caffeine consumption per day is 400mg. So don’t feel guilty of drinking 92mg after waking up. Drink it and enjoy a productive morning and midday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment